The Cannabean Betrothal: Debriefed

Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 by Twi Fic Club in
0


How did you come up with the idea for The Cannabean Betrothal?

It literally just popped into my head one day

What inspired your creation of this lifestyle?

I find the limitations it poses to be interesting.

Any particular religion it's based on? We were reminded of a modern-day version of the Quakers / Amish.

Yes, it is loosely (and I mean very loosely) based on Amish/Mennonite and some Mormon structures

What about Twilight made you want to structure this within fanfiction?

I just thought it would be beautiful to see two people fall in love like this.

Were the puritanical undertones in canon a springboard?

Not really, no.

Do you find it difficult to write about something which you (presumably) have no real life experience with?

I find it easier, actually. It’s fun to create a world and its rules.

What made you want to write in 3rd person?

I prefer 3rd person because it reads less like a diary and it gives a broader view of the characters involved.

How hard is it to write two very different stories at once?

Not hard at all. Even though the names are the same, they’re all very different characters to me.

Does it take you a bit to get into the correct 'voice' when going back and forth?

It takes me a few days to let some things go, yes.

Do you have a particular routine when you're writing? Does it differ between your two stories?

The only routine I have is that I write best in the wee hours of the morning, but there are exceptions to that. I don’t listen to music or have any rituals, however.

How specifically do you outline your stories?

I don’t outline my stories at all. That feels too much like homework!

In TCB specifically, how detailed is your outline of the religion and the betrothal phases?

I know what the restrictions are and where the story is going. That’s pretty much all I need. I don’t have a specific outline that I work from.

Why does Edward still live at home?

Edward still lives at home for a few reasons. First, he’s a tad bit old to have never been married. Most Cannabean men are preparing for marriage in their late teens/early twenties – a time when people wouldn’t think twice about the fact that they still live at home. Then, during the betrothal period, they secure a home and move in. Because of Edward’s “situation” early on, his growth was stunted in that area. He then put up roadblocks and made excuses as to why he didn’t move out.

Is this considered normal for an adult male within the lifestyle?

No, but not completely abnormal. He’s just a little old to still be unmarried.

Though there is a strict propriety surrounding the courtship and betrothal within the Cannabean lifestyle, there is also more honesty and openness between couples regarding what they want and expect from their partners. Is that something you consider to be one of the main points of the story?

The main point of the story is how you can fall in love under these circumstances when you are open to it. And when you fall in love, the honesty and openness is a byproduct.

What are your three favorite moments within The Cannabean Betrothal?

When they have their first big argument and Edward sits outside her house to apologize; the revelation of the betrothal (proposal); and when Edward asks Bella if she’s ever seen a penis! J

What are your top three favorite fanfictions / authors?

Oh this changes all the time, except for adorablecullens. I will love her forever.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 things would you want with you?

A tent, food/water, clothes, my laptop and tampons!


Thank you to ItzMegan73 for allowing us to interview her, and all the ladies that participated in the discussion!

0 comments: